Local Governance and Rural Empowerment Project for Davao Region (LGREP)
Since the enforcement of Local Government Code of 1991, responsibilities to provide major basic public services were transferred to Local Government Units (LGUs). To implement such services efficiently, various efforts have been made by LGUs.The Davao Integrated Development Program (DIDP) was established in 1994 for the effective implementation of the development schemes in the Region.
In Davao Region, 40 % of the total population does not have access to safe water. Member LGUs of DIDP formed special groups for the construction of new water supply systems and assistance to communities for operation and maintenance. It is necessary to improve the technical knowledge and skills of the staff concerned in provincial, city and municipal levels.
To provide such assistance stated above, LGREP was commenced by DIDP with tachnical assistance of Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA).
- Davao Integrated Development Program (DIDP)
- Member LGUs of DIDP
- Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA)
- 3 Years: from July 2007 to June 2010
Overall Goal, Project Purpose and Outputs
- The capacity of Local Government Units in delivering basic public services is improved.
- Evaluation of present situation for small water supply is conducted.
- Human resources for groundwater development are developed.
- Human resources for facilitating community organizations to maintain small water supply facilities are developed.
- The improved procedure of delivering the water supply services is institutionalized.